Aaate ki Pinni is a very popular Punjabi sweet eaten almost everywhere in India.Its basically a Ladoo made with whole wheat flour, nuts and cashews.Its full of energy.Its also good for people who suffer from weakness and vigour.Once prepared this Ladoo doesn’t spoil for 30days in a moisture free airtight environment.Its perfect for sweet cravings and whenever you accidentally or due to any reason skip a meal this can substitute your basic carb needs.Its very good easy to make and can be easily prepared in about 30minutes.This month of August has so many festivals Rakhi,Krishna Janmashtmi,Ganesh Chaturthi that you can prepare this and keep for your guests also.Kids love this Ladoo and there are so many variations of it you would be surprised.One of he variants of Pinni is recommended to pregnant women.If you add linseed flour to it,some fried gond then you have the special recipe for expectant women.I also did a blog post on Besan and Almond Ladoo , in case you missed I have given a link for it down below.
Previous Post Nostalgia Almond and Besan Ladoo
Now I have rolled them in granulated sugar because I was lazy to powder it fine, you can follow this additim all step or completely skip it its your choice.You can use roasted desiccated sweet coconut also if you want to , that tastes quite good with this Ladoo as well.
Some closeup shots here to show you the texture of the Ladoo I made.Clarified Butter or ghee is found mentioned in rig Veda one of India’s ancient literatures.Preparing Ladoo is not such a tedious process and I would strongly recommend you to make them at home than buy it in stores.I have used Multigrain flour because you I wanted to make it more healthy but you can go ahead with simple wheat flour also.
- Whole Wheat Flour-4 tablespoon
- Almonds-2 tablespoon
- Sugar/Boora/Tagar-5 tablespoon
- Ghee -4 tablespoon
- Cardamom-1 teaspoon
- Raisins-1 tablespoon
- Start by melting you ghee in a wok or Kadhai , make sure the heat is low and you don’t smoke the ghee(or it will turn bitter)
- Add in the flour and keep stirring for about 8-10min till the mix starts to leave the ghee on the sides, the colour will turn golden brown.For even cooking make this on low heat and keep stirring so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Add few sprinkles of water to the mix ad stir well,this gives the tiny lumps that you love
- Next add in cardamom and raisins and mix well till the mixture cools completely.The reason we added the cardamom while everything was hot because it excuses the aroma and its flavour gets infused in the mixture.
- Only after the mixture has cooled completely, this is very crucial else you will melt the sugar and end with stiff laddoo and we don’t want that.It would take 30mon on an average for the mixture to cool.Dont get temped to put your mixture in the refrigerator it will turn rock hard and we would have to start over.Trust me frozen ghee makes the taste really bad.
- While our mix is cooling we will prepare roasted almond powder by tempering the almonds on low heat in a pan and then grounding to a coarse mix.
- Now add in the sugar and almonds to the mix and make sure it’s evenly combined
Finally roll out the dough form balls and keep on a parchment to set for 10min before they are ready to eat.You can coat them in powdered sugar as done traditionally.Store your ladoos in airtight containers or serve them fresh.All day snack that lasts 15days to 30days without getting spoiled.Hope you enjoyed reading, do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.
PS. There are ways to make this recipe in under 5min using a microwave but I would strongly suggest you NOT to microwave fats or any milk products because it makes them very bad for health.