Cooking with mustard oil has been a part of Indian Tradition.With industrialisation however the old and authentic methods of cooking have then a backseat and comfort has taken preference over what’s good for your body.Mustard oil is a very healthy oil for cooking, it doesn’t smoke easily either so it’s perfect from stir frying to deep frying as well.The oil has a distinct flavour to it , a beautiful earthy aroma which makes it so perfect to cook Indian dishes in.The oil imparts a natural yellow colour and shine to the dish and don’t worry it’s not bad for your health.
- Mustard Oil-2 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds-1 teaspoon
- Turmeric-1 teaspoon
- Salt- to taste
- Coriander powder-1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli-1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper-1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger-1/2 inch piece
- Green Chilli -1
- Fresh Coriander-1 teaspoon
- Start by slicing the potatoes evenly into desired shape,I like them like French fries by only thinner do that cook faster in a low flame and soak them in cold water for about 10min
- Take a pan add oil ,cumin and mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle
- Next add your sliced potatoes and sear them for a good 5-8 minutes till they soften up and get a light brown coating and crispness to them
- Next add in all the spices along with chopped chilli,ginger and coriander
- Sautéed for another 5min
- Cover with lid after adding a tablespoon of water if your potatoes are tough
Serve hot with bread if your choice or with rice.You can also stuff it in your bread and have delicious home made sandwich.
Hope you enjoyed reading, do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.