Have you ever wondered how to make a sweet dish out of something as pungent and spicy as capsicum ? If yes please let me know in comments below I would love to try it,if no check my take on halwa made with red and yellow bell peppers.Its a minamilistic recipe which requires very few ingredients and has many surprising flavours to it.To add more texture I have prepared a bell pepper reduction to glaze my dry fruits and top as candy crumbs to the halwa.The bell pepper juice infuses with the sugar and balances it out so perfectly you would be amazed(I was !! 😋).I have used cinnamon and cardamom to give th halwa a beautiful aroma that fills not just your entire pallete but also your kitchen.Try this amazing twist on your regular vegetable -capsicum.You can substitute regular milk with coconut milk and make a vegan version of the recipe as well.Coconut and Capsicum is a match made in heaven ❤️
Yes it tastes as yum as it looks,frankly capsicum cannot get better than this, you are going to love this I know that.Its such a twist of taste on age old Indian Dessert Halwa.
- Red Bell Pepper-1
- Yellow Bell Pepper-1
- Milk-150ml | Coconut Milk-150ml (Vegan)
- Cinnamon -1 stick
- Cardamom -2 cloves
- Dry Fruits-your choice
- Start by grating your bell peppers and separating the liquid in a cup for the bell pepper reduction.
- In a pot or pan add milk , cinnamon stick and cardamom to flavour it and bring all to a boil.
- Now add the grated capsicum and cook it down to a thick consistency.
- Keep stirring the milk and pepper mixture ,it will cook down in about 15 min or so on medium heat.
- Let’s make our reduction while our halwa is reducing, in a small bowl add about two teaspoon of sugar and the juice of the bellpaper(mine was about 1.5 tablespoon) and bring it to heat stirring continuously.This needs to get thick like a caramel consistency.
- Dip your dry fruits in the reduction and take them out and let them dry on a parchment paper.Yes this is our garnish.
- Halwa is ready when you see all the milk solids decomposed and thickened along with the capsicum.
Plate the halwa with the bellpepper reduction glazed dry fruits.Top with Vanilla ice cream for more yumminess.
Hope you enjoyed reading,do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.