Happy Sashtmi to all.Today is the 7th day of the nine day festival of Navratri and some of you might be fasting today.During fasting whole grains,rice and lentils are not consumed.But to stay energised throughout the day a fruit based diet along with items made with buckwheat flour ,water chest nut flour and amarnath flour are used.Spices are used very minimally , rock salt or sendha namak is used as a table salt substitute.Black pepper that is freshly ground is used for seasoning.Usage of ginger,green chilli and green coriander leaves is common.Today I will talk about a recipe made with buckwheat flour which is gluten free and highly rich in protein so if you are allergic to gluten you might want to try this for a change.You can make pancakes with this flour or as tradition has it dip sliced potatoes in a buckwheat flour batter.Yes a new kind of tempura which is very healthy.I like the buckwheat flour croquettes with plain curd preferably made homemade and plain coriander chutney.This chutney is made by pulsing together coriander with some green chilli ,ginger,cumin and salt.No garlic or additional spices are added.
- Buckwheat Flour-250g
- Potatoes-2 large(fresh from harvest)
- Ginger-1 inch piece
- Green Chilli-1
- Coriander Leaves-3 tablespoon
- Rock Salt-2 teaspoon
- Black Pepper-1 teaspoon
- Chop up the potatoes,ginger,chilli and coriander for the pre-preparation
- Make a thick batter by adding few tablespoons water at a time and whisking the buckwheat float
- Add sliced potatoes ,coriander,chilli,ginger and seasoning of salt and pepper
- Bring oil to high heat and fry a tablespoon of batter making sure you don’t overcrowd the wok.
- Take them out in a dry kitchen paper towel
Serve hot on the side of plain curd and coriander chutney if you like.Hope you enjoyed reading, do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.