Candied ginger is just perfect around the fall. Not only do you get the fresh batch of ginger harvested. The light fawn textured almost ripe variant, its so fragrant and good for health. In Asian cultures its believed that ginger is very good for . If you’d like to whip up a recipe loaded with aphrodisiacs, try a recipe that calls for ginger, cinnamon and cloves – spices traditionally used for their ability to inspire lust and love. Ginger is a strengthening food that has long been used for thousands of years to maintain health.Owning to its medicinal properties , its recommended during cough and cold.Ginger is known to increase body heat ,thus helping the immune system to fight infection.
The Egyptian diet included Ginger and so did the Roman diet. Marco Polo has mentioned ginger when writing about the wealth of spices he found during his travels around the famous silk route in China. A no less royal personage than Queen Elizabeth I has been credited with inventing the gingerbread man.Ginger is also a very common ingredient in Cantonese cuisine.The primary taste of most asian stir fries, stews ,soup ,dumplings and broth is ginger.Noodle soup as well as the very famous hot and sour man-chow soup derives its taste from the freshly grated ginger that simmers along with the rest of the brew.
Candied ginger makes for a great addition to cookies, toppings over cakes, muffins, chocolate bark and even marmalades.You can use the left over ginger water from the simmer and add some soda to make your own ginger ale.Add some five spice, cinnamon, cloves and make yourself a gingery Moscow mule.You can even make you own ginger beer by adding the ginger sugar extract to some spletz water.There are so many possible recipes with candied ginger that you will just go crazy.The best part about candied ginger is that it can be consumed as it is.Its got a peppery tang and sugary sweetness from the braising in sugar.
I hope you enjoyed reading, do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.If you wish to connect with me or share any ideas or suggestions, feel free to write to me at mailto:email@example.com
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 15m
For Candied Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Star Anise
- 3 cups Water
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Ginger
- Start by washing ,peeling and slicing the ginger into desired shapes, I chose cube
- Add 1 cup ginger to 2 cups water and simmer for 30min till the colur of the water changes to light brown
- Strain the ginger and prepare a sugar syrup by mixing equal parts sugar and water 1 cup sugar : 1 cup water
- Add the ginger to the sugar syrup and simmer for another 30min till the ginger turns translucent and thoroughly coated with sugar syrup
- Once the sugar starts to crystallise take the candied ginger out on a flat surface and let it cool completely
- Roll the candied sugar in either fine sugar or chunky sugar as per your liking