Kkakdugi is Korean fermented radish.As you all know radish is very good for health. Its rich in calcium and minerals. A simple tip most vegetables and fruits that are white in colour have lots of calcium in it. Also most sea vegetables are rich in calcium.Example coconuts, lotus stems, dried kelp, water chestnut.You can make this recipe with daikon or any variant of radish that is available.Also you don’t need to let it sit for weeks on end to get it sour, it tastes good soon after preparing also. A few hours on the kitchen counter are good enough for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 12h
- Total Time: 12h 30m
- 1 cup Fall Radish, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Green Onion
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 1 cup Soy Sauce (Fish Sauce for non-vegetarian version)
- 2 tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Peel fall radish (or daikon), rinse it in cold water and pat dry.Cut it into small cubes and add kosher salt keeping aside for 30minutes till moisture is drawn out.
- Add 2 tbs minced garlic ,ginger, chopped green onions, soy sauce hot pepper flakes, and ⅓ cup of the juice from the radish.
- Mix it till the seasonings coat the radish cubes evenly, and the radish looks juicy.
- Put the kkakdugi into a glass jar and press down on the top of it to remove any air from between the radish cubes.Eat right away or leave it on the kitchen counter for at least 12 hrs to ferment before transferring it to the refrigerator.