This is a Venetian Jam recipe from the 1898 where Monks prepare this jam old style even now.The monks on the Venetian Islan of San Lazzaro,Italy are known not only for their roses but also this very famous rose jam.The recipe is adapted of course from Artusi’s 1891 cookbook.
To know more about the story click on Link
Now I am using bright red roses because those are the kinds I have on hand, however the best rose petals to use would be the Indian rose in dark pink because they give a more subtle flavour and beautiful pink shade.You can use the lighter pink rose petals as well.You can use pectin although I have skipped it.Lemon is a natural source of pectin and I am going to squeeze in an entire lemon.Now the traditional recipe calls for you massaging the leaves with sugar and leaving them for an hour before preparation because that gives a kind of glow to the jam.Also you need to be stirring this jam regularly because if you overcook it the colour turns really dark and sometimes your jam can even burn.Lets first go over the ingredients before we get started on the recipe.
Mix it in youghurt , add it to your pie filling,ice creams,cakes,muffins or just have it with jam. It’s a super versatile dish and can be canned for up to 2 months.
Hope you enjoyed reading, do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 20m
- Rose Petals-1 cup
- Sugar-1 cup
- Water-1/2 cup
- Start by massaging the rose petals with sugar for about 10min till the petals sort of lose their body and keep for 1 hour aside
- In a saucepan add water and sugar making a simple syrup
- Add in the rose petals and keep stirring.Dont worry if they lose colour we will,he it back very-soon.On medium low heat this took about 8min.
- Squeeze in juice of one lemon and cook for another 3-4 min
- Jam is ready when a small quantity of it put on a cold plate retains shape