Paella is the national dish of Spain most popular as the regional dish of Valencia.Its rice cooked with lots of vegetables and made entirely in broth for extra flavour.I took inspiration from Gwyneth Paltro’s recipe for vegans in in Cape Town and South Africa.She describes making paella as if one were doing alchemy and not cooking.Its undoubtedly a comfort food with complex flavours.Its super easy to make and gets done in under 15min.Gwyneth used artichokes, mushrooms, peppers and aubergines but I am using the best seasonal vegetables I have on hand.In my version of vegetable paella I am using green beans, carrot, onions, garlic and lots of ginger to pack a punch.Now as we spoke on multiple occasions eating home food is the best for your health so we are going to make some super quick meals to help with that.For the entire meal plan check my post on Guide to Quick Meals if you haven’t seen it already.I am sharing the link down below in the description.
I am showing a picture below of how my vegetables cooked down and how everything looks like after step 4 right before I add the vegetable stock because then you won’t be able to see the vegetables.If you like a little bit of rawness in your veggies you can undercook them.
Now ideally for paella its recommended to use short great rice but I am being a bit of a rebel here and I have chosen rice which I love the most ,if you want to stick to the original recipe go ahead and use bomba rice as used by the natives.Olive oil is the recommended choice of oil here.As far as vegetable stock is concerned I find it a good practice to always store some as it comes in handy when making clear soups or just adding that extra bit of flavour to anything.If you plan on adding aubergine sweat it first by applying some salt on it and keeping it aside before cooking it down in a little bit of oil.
Serve hot with a vegan aioli (garlic and oil) for a perfect quick homemade dinner on a weekday.Hope you enjoyed reading ,do try out the recipe and share your experiences in comments below.
- White Rice-1 cup
- Turmeric -1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander-1 teaspoon
- Cumin-1 teaspoon
- Bay Leaf-1
- Cinnamon -1/2 inch
- Carrot-1/4 cup
- Green Beans-1/4 cup
- Green Chilli-1
- Garlic-2 cloves
- Ginger -1 inch piece
- Red Onion-1
- Olive Oil-1 tablespoon
- Vegetable Stock-3/4 cup
- Paprika -1 teaspoon
- Start by preparing your vegetables , cut them into chunks or slice them thin it\'s all your wish , I sliced my onions real thin and chopped up beans and carrots very small to fasten up the cooking process
- In a paella pan or a flat with about an inch depth add oil and all the dry spices
- Now sautéed the onions ginger garlic and chilli till they soften up
- Next add in the carrots and beans
- Add your vegetable stock and pour in your rice in a cross(as Gywneth recommends in one of her videos on the Ellen Show)
- Add some chopped parsley and let it steam for about 7-8 min till its completely cooked